2.06.2006

Wheel of Fortune, That's Hot

Tony and Jason are playing Streetfighter on SuperNintendo. I think video games are a strange leisure pursuit. On Saturday, I visited with my mother's side of the family. Cousin Cole has a sweet set-up in his basement with X-box and a 60-inch plasma. Cole is 12 and plays Halo 2 all day long against college kids and 20-something men. Not to mention a lot of teenage boys. I wonder what all these gamers say to each other? They are the elusive demograhic for marketers. Is the Army winning the battle of communication? A new video produced by the Army tells players "gain experience as a Soldier in the U.S. Army, without leaving home." Yes! How convenient to experience war in the comfort of your own home. When visiting with a few friends over Christmas they exclaimed when playing "It's SO real". No, it's really not.

On the other hand, I feel the need to disclose that I recently bought stock in Electronic Arts, the biggest video game producer in the Western Hemisphere. The price hasn't done anything the last two months. Funny a lot of companies are struggling and Exxon-Mobile posts the biggest profit of any company in U.S. history...and Bush keeps saying "the economy is strong."

I sold some electronic equipment today on CraigsList to a guy named Gerald. He was quite jolly and terribly sarcastic at the same time. I enjoyed the interaction. I definitely think that the privacy of modern day affects our development of sympathy and compassion. How often do you really talk to others? Meet new people?

I'm going to visit my friend Changro Ro Pete Lee in Seoul, Korea. Two months. I can't wait to see some stuff that's outside my normal view. Cheers to Pete!(and dancing in your blue room next to 50 pairs of shoes and Grey Goose on the shelf).

I saw Grizzly Man on Saturday with my family. I spent most of the time laughing or horrified...and ended up depressed. I do not suggest this documentary about a man who befriends Animals and is seriously disturbed. But aren't we all? Maybe its worth a peek.

I need to downsize my wardrobe. Not that I have too many clothes, but I definitely have too many clothes I never wear. I need to build a more thoughtful wardrobe, otherwise it just ends up being wasteful. I need the Internet Queen to send me a list. Wouldn't that be great?

I go between loving and hating my blog.

4 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree completely with your interpretation of the Grizzly Man. In my eyes, it was a beautiful documentary of a man who maybe could teach us all a lesson. He is upset with the government like you are, Lauren Elizabeth. If his body was not sitting in the stomach of a dead bear right now, you two could have been something special. Sorry Jason.

Melissa Nightingale

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

Um, I don't think Trent was my type. but you are right about the validity os the movie, we could all learn from such a compassionate, environmental activst such as the movie's hero. Thanks for comments!

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go between loving and hating my blog.

Here's an important, but kind of dense writing-wise, article on bloggers on the left, with the main theme being that most bloggers are white, male and relatively wealthy. I say step up and diversify! ... love your blog! The article does go into how hard it is for new bloggers to get readers, since the big top 20 or so gobble everybody up.

http://www.alternet.org/mediaculture/31955/

btw, is your "About Me" picture of you burning tires like ya'll do in the south? ;-)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Ha! I just changed my profile picture today. It's from outside my boyfriend's old frat house at UVa. We went and visited the day we played Virginia Tech in football at 12:00PM. My 11PM, the Sigma Pi brothers were drunk and burning couches on the front lawn. My friends call this photo "Lauren Reporting Live".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home